Monday, July 25, 2016

The Best Days of my Life - Part 7 of 8 (La Honduras)

Well guys...

Here we go.  This week was pretty amazing, and I'll be tying it in to my last area's blog.  Enjoy.  I know I did.


La Honduras - Guaymuras

My last days in La Reforma went by way too fast - but I was anxious to see where I was going to finish my mission.  Well, you are all aware that I stayed in the city, and went to an area called La Honduras with one of my closest friends in the mission, Elder Hirschi. 

The area is amazing.  It comprises an area called Residencial Honduras, as well as a section of two of the most dangerous areas in the Tegucigalpa mission, namely Los Pinos and Villanueva.  BUT - we have not had any problems.  I've worked in both of those areas well after dark, and nothing has ever happened to us.  In fact, not ONLY has nothing bad happened to us, but many GOOD things have happened to us.  We have made incredible friendships with almost all of the member families in the area in a very short amount of time, and we have seen many miracles.  

The members are all strong in their testimonies and willing to work.  We've been working hard together - and we've seen many fruits.  

And most of those fruits were seen this week. 

What I think I need to say first is what learned in this area.  I've spent my whole mission trying to make miracles happen.  Quite literally, that has been my goal.   So... Oddly enough, I've managed to pass my whole mission seeming to forget one detail.  

It's not MY work.  Nor was it ever.

I've worked and sweat and cried and just about killed myself trying to find God's chosen - but the truth is, when they're chosen, they'll find you.  You just have to be in the right place at the right time.  

Speaking of which....

This week just happened to be the week of my last interview with the President.  It was amazing, and also just happened to be the week of 5 baptisms that we had planned in our area.  And it ALSO just so happened to be the week of the baptism of 3 of my investigators from La Reforma.  And so.... In a nutshell.... 

I was able to attend all of those baptisms.  This week, because God wanted it and because I was in the right place at the right time, I was able to attend the baptism of 8 of my investigators.  And not only that.... President and Hermana Bowler were present in the baptisms of the family Cruz. 

So... To say the least, this week was beautiful.  Beyond words, this week was beautiful.

And what is most odd, and what is most heartbreaking and yet the most amazing part of all of this week, is that I feel as if I've done NOTHING.  It ALL just came together on its own.  Obviously I had to work, but I've done nothing different.  It was just.... Right.  HOW can I come to understand that?  HOW can it be that after MONTHS of working without any visible success, it all just comes together in the last weeks of my mission?

Well.... Only the Lord knows.  I think I have an idea too - but I couldn't begin to describe it all.  Overall.... We can just say that I really did learn.  It was never my work.  And.... I felt, even if it was for a second, a portion of the Lord's love for us as I watched a family walk into the waters of baptism after YEARS of fighting.... And, for a split second, I felt as if I was watching them as if they were children.  MY children.  

I don't know if that's weird.... But I know that the love I felt for God and for those people was stronger than it has ever been before in that moment.  

What else can I say?  I suppose that I have one more week in Honduras - I don't think all of the Lord's surprises are done yet.  So... I guess we'll just see what happens.  I love you all, and I want to thank all of you for your support in this journey.  One more week.  One week more.... Talk to you all soon.



Elder Kristian Huff

No comments:

Post a Comment