Monday, August 1, 2016

The Best Days of my Life - Part 8 of 8

My dearest friends and family,

Sometimes words fail.  Recently, words have failed to say what I'd like to on several occasions.  I'm not sure if this last letter will be the same - like several prophets from the Book of Mormon, I don't find myself strong in writing as I could be in speaking.  Perhaps it's not that I think of myself as a powerful speaker - but once something is written, it's done - and there is a great part of me that wishes that all that I'm doing would never end.  But, maybe if I try one more time, I'll say it right.  

I've spent the past two years of my life in Honduras, a beautiful country in Central (Latin) America.  I've been serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and while doing so, have learned more than what I could have EVER learned than if I had just continued with my 'normal life'.  I've been able to live amongst the Honduran people, eating with them, talking with them, crying with them, laughing with them, watching many grow and watching many fall, and all the while being protected behind a little plaque with the name of someone who is most important for me.

So, as I come to the close of those two years, I suppose it's fair to ask, 'well, what is it that you've learned exactly?'  I believe that in a past letter I mentioned something similar to that which I'll say right now - but those words are truer now than they ever have been.  


During these past two years, I've had the unique opportunity to see the very best and the very worst of this world.  I've seen the greatest acts of generosity, acts of pure love and service from many who have almost nothing to give, and in the end, ask for nothing in return.  I've seen great sacrifice and small acts of kindness that could make a grown man cry.  I've seen many who literally give ALL they have to those they love - and I've seen the determination burn in their eyes in the face of challenge and fear and uncertainty.  But, at the same time, I've seen acts of great selfishness and the consequences of negligence.  I've seen the tears of those effected by another's heartless decisions.  I've seen children taking care of other children due to the absence of a capable parent figure.  I've seen tragedy that could have been averted, as well as tragedy that was out of anyone's control.  I've seen light enter into a person's eyes, and I've seen light disappear from another's.  I've seen life and death.  It may seem melodramatic, but you would understand if you had walked where I have.  Anyone who has served in this country will also be able to say that it's the truth.  

So what else can I say?  What words can say it right?  A small letter on a computer screen will never be able to express all of what I just mentioned - nor will it be able to teach all that I've learned.  But, the most beautiful thing that I've learned, is that all that I've learned has ALREADY been said.  The ironic part of my two year service is that ALL that I'd learn and ALL that I'd see and hear and ALL that I'd come to understand by being here was already explained by that exact same person whose name I've carried over my heart for the past two years.  

As a last testimony of an authorized servant of His name, I've been here in Honduras for the past two years to help people learn about HIM.  The words I've spoken and the love I've felt are a direct result of the time I've dedicated to Him.  The church that I've represented and the books I've been reading and teaching from, and the blood, sweat and tears I've shed, ALL have come to be because of Him.  

My last words and my last hope and my last declaration to the world is that He Lives.  He was perfect, and He really did suffer and die and He really did live again.  And THAT life is the evidence that EVERYTHING I've been teaching is true.  The laws and the doctrines and the practices are all simply appendages to that great truth that He is the Saviour of the World.  He is my Saviour - and I've been here in Honduras doing a small part of His work.

As I come to the end of my two years, it is amazing to note that what I will be doing for the rest of my life is very similar to what I've been doing these past 24 months.  I will spend the rest of my life trying to be more like Him and doing that which He would do.  My greatest wish is that every person in this world could feel the great love of the Father and that this love could make everyone want to be better and be more pure.  Truly, what I've learned during these last two years, and what His greatest message was, and what I want to spend the rest of my life showing and spreading:  Is Love.

I love you all, and I love my Father and my Saviour.  Thank you for your support - I hope you all know, I will be here for all of you for the rest of my life.  To my beloved Honduran people - I will not be very far, nor will I be gone for too long.  I love you all more than words can say.  See you all soon.



Elder Kristian Huff

No comments:

Post a Comment