Thursday, November 26, 2015

Weeks like Days

Hey everybody!

There's always so much to say and I'm just not good at finding the words to say them.  I suppose there's always something in my mind that I want to tell you - but then the words just stop as I begin to say them.  It's just not the same as saying them face to face, you know?  For example, I remember something a missionary told me when I was beginning my mission.  He said,

'The mission is like this, Elder Huff:  The days feel like weeks, and the weeks feel like days.'

And, at first, I understood the first part perfectly.  I LOVED the work, but OHHH the days went by slow!  But... Then, all of a sudden.... The days don't feel long.  The feel too short.  And before you know it.... Several weeks have passed and you barely had a moment to watch it go by.  Guys, it breaks my heart.  But incredibly, thanks to several friends and family this week, I was reminded of a very special celebration that we hold in the States (it doesn't exist here - obviously) that happens to fall on the day that I get to write you.  

So.... Those weeks that seem more like days end up making me reflect on how beautiful this world is.  How amazing it is to be a part of this world, in all its perfections and imperfections. I end up just being humbled by the love shown by so many and lives that have such an effect on each other - so, maybe it's typical, but with all my heart I want to write a letter of gratitude.  So... Here goes.


First, I want to express my gratitude for all of my dear friends back at home.  You have all had such an effect on me, and I want you to know how much I love you.  Everyone from Satori, from Theater, from Dance Co., from the Scera and Hale, from the Springville Playhouse, from Cries of Freedom, friends from school, friends from the city, friends from everywhere.  I love you all so dearly, and I MISS you.  When I come back, I'll do all that I can to let you know how much I care for each of you - so thank you for being a part of my life.

Next, I want to express my thanks for Danli.  Beginning in the most beautiful, peaceful and homely area was a welcome to Honduras that I will always be grateful for.  I love everyone there - my ward, my investigators, my converts, every hill and colonia, and every day I got to spend learning about the mission from wonderful missionaries who welcomed me in.  I love you all, and thank you.  I'll see you soon.

Then, my beloved family in the Villa Olimpica.  I feel like there's very little I can say.  Just... Thank you.  To every person who had something to do with me while I was there, thank you.  You are those who made me feel like Honduras and Teguc were my own - and as I said before, I plan on keeping my promises to all of you.  I love you.

One of the hardest ones I'll have to give is thanks for San Marcos.  That place is my little piece of heaven.  Our time went by very fast... Too fast.  But during that time, I came to know some of the best people in this world.  Stay strong - your day will come.  Thank you for letting me be a part of you.  I thank God every day that He let me be there -  and someday I'll try to give back a little that you gave me.

Amapala - we're on the way.  I'll be telling a lot of stories in the coming weeks about you, Amapala - so in the meantime, I'll be showing you my gratitude every day for the coming months.

Next, I'm thankful for the mission.  I'm grateful that God let me come here - it has changed everything.  I love it.  I love the lessons I've learned, the people I've met, the places I've been, the person it's let me become.  I'm not who I hope to be - but thanks to this amazing gift, I'm on the way. I'm grateful for this opportunity, more than any other opportunity I've had.  

I'm thankful for my family.  My Mom, my Dad, Nanny and Jakob, my brothers and Chemo and Ya Ya and all the Greenwood's, all of my beloved cousins and sisters and aunts and uncles and all those who have been a part of my life as I've come to this point - what amazes me more and more, is that everything we learn in the gospel comes down to all of YOU.  My Family. I love you.  More than words can say, I Love You.  Thank you - I wish I could thank each of you personally, but that's gonna have to wait until I get home - until then, Thank You.  

Finally.... I'm thankful for my Family in Heaven.  I'm grateful for what they've given me and all they've done for me.  The honest truth is, that's all I can say.  Anything else is too personal for specifics - but all that they've taught me, the Gospel, the Fall and the Atonement, the apostasy and the restoration, the commandments, they ordinances, the opportunity to hold the Holy Priesthood, to be a missionary, to know that there is so much that we don't know, and so much we've already done and so much we still have to do gives me a peace and a confirmation of everything I knew in my heart that just needed to be connected to words and doctrine - and I will forever, eternally be grateful for those truths.  I love the Gospel and every truth that has come with it. I love my Saviour and I stand as a witness of His divine calling and life - it is all true.  Read the books.  Say your prayers. Keep the commandments.  And then - you'll know, just like I do.

Once again, I love each and every one of you.  These are my sincere and short words for this Thanksgiving - I hope you can feel the love I truly do have for each and every one of you.  I will see you soon.

Elder Kristian Huff

Song of the Week - Hey Soul Sister

No comments:

Post a Comment