Monday, June 22, 2015

Count Back 11

Hey everybody!

Thank you to all who wrote me, once again, I'll do a big shoutout next week.  For right now, I have a special kind of message for all of you.

Honestly, It's hard to know where I want to begin.  I guess.... Where I could start would be with a question.


How do you count back 11?


Maybe that's vague, and maybe a little nonsensical, but...  This question, for one reason or another, has been in my mind for the past couple of days.  I suppose I don't mean it literally, exactly.  I also suppose that the reflective aspect of the question depends on what the number 11 refers to.  I'll try my best to put into words how I look at the number 11.

I suppose it's also fair that I give you all a little explanation as to what I want to talk about.  What I want to write about is personal to me and my family, but I think it is only fair that I allow all of you to benefit from the story that has benefitted me for so many years... You could even say 11 years, to be exact.


So, with that said,  I want to count back 11.


11 back, I was 8 or 9 years old.  It had just been me and my mom for a very long time, and the two of us were convinced that it would always just be the two of us.  I always felt a little out of place, and felt a little like I didn't understand everyone else because a typical family consisted of three - and I suppose mine did, kind of, as well, including my grandma. But still, there was a huge hole in our family, and we both knew why.  Still, 11 back, we didn't really dare to hope for a normal family.

11 back, he was 24. Frankly, I doubt he had any idea the life that was in store for him, looking from 11 back.  He was studying, and preparing for a life in the medical field.  I think it was normal life to just be alone for him, although I imagine he tried to convince himself that he was content at the time being so. 11 back, I'm sure he was just trying to get ready for his life.

11 back, I could have never known that I would actually do something in Boy Scouts.

11 back, he had no idea he would become immersed in a world of music and theater.

11 back, I seriously didn't know that I would actually do something in Boy Scouts.  I'm serious guys. 

11 back, he didn't know that he'd 'help' a teenager build a three story tree house.

11 back, I didn't think I'd ever watch a man become a father.

11 back, he didn't know he'd have to teach a child how to forgive.

11 back, I could never have known that a typical family is ANYTHING but typical.  I could never have known that someone could have a love pure enough to change their career, their dreams and their whole path of life for me.  I didn't know that there was someone brave enough to try to become a part of me, even though I had already convinced myself that that couldn't happen.

11 back, he couldn't have comprehended the years of struggle that would follow, nor could he have understood the amount of heartache he would have to carry on behalf of an already struggling family.  

11 back, I could have never imagined I'd see the inside of the temple.

11 back, he didn't know he'd spend years trying to teach and earn the trust of a young child.

11 back, I didn't know I would one day call someone 'Dad.'

11 back, he didn't know he would send a son on a mission.

And... 

11 back, we met. 


Guys, it is impossible to put into words the gratitude I have for this man.  And, as yesterday was Father's Day, all I can say is... Well, Thank You.  I love you, Dad.  Guys, if you don't know my dad, get to know him.  He is the perfect example that family are those who decide to be a part of your life - and, for that, I'll be eternally grateful for him.  Although honestly it's really hard to put into words all that I want to say... I hope that this at least says a little.  So, one more time for you... Hi Dad.

Have a great week, guys.  I'll talk to you soon.  

Elder Kristian Huff



Song of the Week: Any Dream Will Do - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  That song's for you, Dad.  you know.... Cuz of lots of stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment