Monday, March 23, 2015

Yeah, I don't Have a Clever Name for This One

Well hi everybody.

I once heard it said that the mission works like this....  

'The days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days.'  

And... Yeah.  Pretty much.  Time is flying, although the days are LONG..... But hey, I don't notice when I'm working. Once in a while, I'll just take a step back, and be like.... Whoa.  I've been here for 7 and a half months.  How did that happen?  Then it'll be midday, and it's hot as the devil, and I think to myself.... Actually.... Maybe that sounds about right.  BUT, either way.  I freaking love it here.  Thanks to everyone that sent me an email this week, like Christie, and Joy, and Blythe, and Steph (I'm so proud of you, girl.  Way to go.), and Cristina, and Emma-Lee, and Scott (THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EMAILING ME), and all the fam.  I love you all dearly, and I am always grateful for your messages.  

Hmm....  Where do I take this week's letter..... Well, actually, there are a couple things I wanted to tell everybody about.  Let's start with some of the people (investigators) I'm working with right now.  Guys.... they're freaking wonderful.

He:  This woman is the BOMB.  She was actually taught by missionaries in another mission in Honduras, and dang, they prepared her well.  She is an incredible person with an incredible testimony.  We've only been here to help tie things up, but she has become a dear friend of mine. We had some confusion about paperwork, but.... now, pretty much everything is set up for her to enter the church.  Really, she did it all on her own.  She's truly just a good person.

Cr:  Well, she is probably one of my most favorite persons in the world (I am really sorry if that sentence was super badly worded.  Spanish n stuff.)  Get this....  She's like 60.  We taught her grandson once, and gave him a little card with a picture of Jesus and our phone number.  We never saw him again.  
Then, one day, as we were walking, we get this call.  This woman on the other line goes, 'hey, you guys are the Elders, right?  Well, I have no idea what the word Elder means, but your phone number was on the back of a Jesus picture, so you've got to be doing something that includes Jesus.  Could you come and visit me?'  
And.... she has turned out to be one of the kindest, sincerest, most LOVING people I have ever met.  She's like our grandma.  She gives us food, never wants us to leave, she listens so intently and really applies everything we teach and invite her to do, and BAHHHH.  This woman is amazing.  
(Also, super fast funny story.  She told us she was gonna come to church with us, but she's just scared cuz she has bad knees.  So... We told her we would get her a car.  Well.... Our 'car' freaking bailed on us.  And.... SHE CAME ANYWAY.  She walked like a mile and a half, up and down hills, all that JUST cuz she said 'I need to know for myself if it's the true church.'  And... She did.  Then, in the class of investigators, she offered to say the last prayer.  She probably prayed for like, seven minutes, due to the fact she was having a lovely conversation with Heavenly Father about her Catholic husband.  The best part went something like this:  'Oh, Father.... Also bless my husband.  He didn't come today to church.  Well, he actually doesn't like going to church a lot.  You see, God, he's catholic.  And so, sometimes he goes to church.  When he feels like it.  He's really a good guy, he just doesn't like to listen to the missionaries and that's why he's not here today.  But look, I'll keep talking to him about it.  You know, his parents were actually catholic too, and I think he really just wants to please his mom still, cuz she was a VERY strict woman.... But she was a good person too, Father, and....'  Etc..... you get the idea.  It was fantastic.)

Ci:  She is a poorer young woman, but also a very kind, sincere person.  She picks up the concepts SUPER well, but when we ask her to repeat some things, she kind of spazzes out and can't remember.  But she has the desire to follow Christ, so we try to help her be able to do so.  She has a little baby that's like, 3, named An who is pretty much that.  Except when he screams.  Cuz man.... He screams LOUD.  She's really sweet though.  

Do:  A young 9 year old who is just bursting with joy and energy.  Her family are members, but a bit inactive....  But they are some of the coolest people.  There's like five kids in the family, so we always teach all of them together.  We have SO much fun teaching kids..... It's a different world.  :D:D:D  But they're great, and Do is such a cute little girl.  We always teach with the grandma, who is SO funny, and SO tired after watching 5 little kids all day every day - We love them dearly. 

La and Ab:  This couple is just funny.  They are interested, and they love to listen, but they often don't seem like they plan on following our invitations.... But, they always tell us to come back. They always give us food, and they both speak english too.  They love metal (like Korn, or Metallica, or other death metal.....)  and they both love comic books.  They're super great people.  

Well, there are a lot more, but..... Those are a few for this week.  I'll tell you all about some other people next week.  But really my time is short.... So....  I think I'm gonna leave it there.

I also had the opportunity to take my investigators to the temple this week:  Cr, He, as well as another family of less active members.  I'll tell you their story soon.

One last thing....  I was prepared to write a long, heartfelt letter about fathers today....  Cuz this week was Father's Day.... Except it wasn't.  That was just here.  Sorry Dad, big long thank you letter is gonna have to wait until June.  Or something like that.  Oh Honduras..... Why do you have all the dates of stuff wrong?  Or maybe that's just me....

Well, love you guys!  Talk to you all soon!

Elder Huff

Song of the Week....  Demons by Imagine Dragons - But I'll explain why next week.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment